On August 14, 2018 / Perma Healthcare / 0 Comments
Is Osteoarthritis Curable?
There are many diseases that are not curable. Osteoarthritis also can never be cured. But you can take the help of various available treatment options to manage the symptoms of osteoarthritis. These treatments will also prevent the condition from worsening further. Along with the chosen treatments, you should also choose lifestyle management measures to further improve your condition.
You can manage osteoarthritis by following the below-mentioned measures
- Exercise: Exercise can help you a lot in improving and managing your condition. Physical activity should be included in your life to strengthen your muscles and to improve your general fitness. Regular exercise will help you to stay active, build up muscle and strengthen the joints. Exercise will also help you to lose weight, improve your posture and relieve stress. A physiotherapist can help you plan the correct exercises for you. You should only follow the prescribed plan, as doing too much exercise too quickly can further damage your joints.
- Losing weight: Losing body weight is helpful in all aspects. It keeps you away from the risk of most diseases. In osteoarthritis also, loosing excess weight will help you because excess body weight can put increased strain on your joints. Your doctor and dietician may guide you about losing weight slowly and safely.
- Medicines: Some medicines can control the symptoms of osteoarthritis, such as:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Capsaicin cream
- Corticosteroid injections
While using medicines over prolonged periods, you should be cautious as medicines can cause side effects that can be serious.
- Supportive treatments
- Hot or cold packs: Applying hot or cold packs to the joints can relieve the pain and other symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- Physical exercise: Appropriate physical exercise can help ease the symptoms of osteoarthritis and maintain mobility of joints.
- Assistive devices: Leg braces and other assistive devices can relieve pressure on the knee joints. These devices will make your routine life easy and will help you perform different task easily.
- Surgery: Surgeries such as joint replacement and realigning bones can be helpful in the condition of osteoarthritis. Usually, surgeries are opted only when the condition is very severe and it cannot be treated with the help of any other option.
By following the above-mentioned ways you can live a better life by managing the symptoms of osteoarthritis even though your condition cannot be cured.