On January 20, 2020 / Perma Healthcare / 0 Comments
What Are the Best Diet, Supplements and Lifestyle Changes for a 50 Year Old Male with Osteoarthritis, Painful Knee Joints?
Why Do We Have Painful Knee Joints?
Osteoarthritis of the knee damages the cartilage in the knee joint – a tissue that acts as a cushion at the ends of bones within a joint. This results in pain and mobility problems. As the knee is one of the main load-bearing joints in our body that gets worn out with age, arthritis of the knee and pain in the knee joint is common in people of all ages and gender.
Are There Any Supplements That Can Help with Osteoarthritis and Painful Knee Joints?
- The New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel (GLM), a shellfish found off the coast of New Zealand seems to contain the therapeutic agents needed to treat osteoarthritis
- GLME contains anti-inflammatory agents, immune modulators and many essential building blocks.
- Proteins, minerals, glycosaminoglycans and marine long chain fatty acids – all naturally occurring substantial therapeutic agents known to maintain joint mobility & well-being.
- They are needed to rebuild collagen, proteoglycans and synovial fluid found in the joints, ligaments and tendons.
- It is important to note that GLME contains a natural content of glycosaminoglycans. This is the name for a group of polysaccharides which includes chondroitin sulphate, dermatan sulphate, hyaluronic acid etc.
- These glycosaminoglycans are used by the body for the biosynthesis of compounds called proteoglycans. The proteoglycans have a very strong affinity for water molecules in the joints, to which they bind, and form very large, slippery, space filling molecules.
- The function of these large combination molecules is to act as shock absorbers and also lubricants in the joints.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin can also help to relieve some of the pain and swelling.
Are There Any Lifestyle Changes That Can Help with Osteoarthritis and Painful Knee Joints?
- Movement is very important as it builds the leg muscle to support the knees, keeps the joints well lubricated, low impact exercises are very good like walking, cycling, water exercises, and swimming. Avoid activities that put extra strain on the knees.
- Losing weight will make you see the difference in your arthritis pain and knee joint pain. It lessens the load on the weight bearing joints to a big extent. Excess weight on the joints accelerates arthritis in our body as the joints have to work extra hard to support the body.
- Hydrate means drink lots of water, as the cartilage in our body and in the joints are made of 80 percent water. If water is not enough in our body then the cartilage will show signs of stress which can worsen the disease.
- Resting your body after periods of activity is very important. Sleep enables our body to naturally repair and rejuvenate itself from any damage caused to it. So, do not forget the importance of adequate sleep in your daily life.
What Is the Best Diet for Osteoarthritis and Painful Knee Joint?
- Balanced diet is very important for the body, it goes a long way to improve bone health. Eating healthy food and avoiding food that worsens the arthritis condition is important.
- Turmeric, Boswellia, Devil’s Claw and fish oil are all very helpful with osteoarthritis symptoms and painful knee joints.
- Eating lots of fruits and vegetables will help as they contain a lot of antioxidants, enzymes, roughage or fibre and lots of other substances that help your cells and protect them from damage. They may also help reduce joint inflammation and pain.
- Use olive oil instead of other fats as it has a lot of health benefits and even helps to reduce inflammation.
- Vitamin C try to get enough of it from fruits and vegetables as it builds the connective tissues and collagen.
Things to Remember
- Deep breathing is very helpful as it removes the toxic gases from our body and supplies fresh oxygen to all the internal parts of our body and blood. This reduces the pain in the joints, improves mood and helps us to be stress-free.
- Balance finding your balance in physical, mental and dietary changes will help you a lot in the long run. As it will enable you to maintain a good all-round health for a long time.
- Get helpearly or timely diagnosis can be very helpful and can prevent permanent damage, do not ignore persistent, sharp, intermittent or localized pain, swelling is another symptom that should not be ignored.