On November 12, 2018 / Perma Healthcare / 0 Comments
How Is GLME Better than Corticosteroid for Arthritis Patients?
Introduction to Corticosteroid
Corticosteroids are steroidal medicines, which are used to provide relief in the inflamed areas. They reduce swelling, redness, itching, and allergic reactions. They are usually used for treatment in health conditions like severe skin problems, arthritis and asthma.
Corticosteroids are very strong medicines. However, they show side effects, which can be very serious.
Benefits of Corticosteroids for Arthritis Patients
For Patients showing symptoms of arthritis, corticosteroids provide great benefits such as:
- Reduction in inflammation: Corticosteroids provides relief from inflammation for any type of arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and Ankylosing spondylitis or lupus.
- Disease Modification: Corticosteroids suppresses the immune system of patients who have arthritis problems. Various studies show that low-doses of corticosteroid therapy slows the progression of rheumatoid arthritis.
Side Effects Associated with the Use of Corticosteroids
Corticosteroids reacts on the organs and tissues of our body, therefore, it has a lot of side effects. Suddenly stopping the use of corticosteroids can be dangerous.
The common side effects of corticosteroid medicines include:
- Susceptibility to bruising
- Lower resistance to infection
- High blood pressure
- Thinning of the limbs
- Fluid retention
- Cataracts or glaucoma
- Water retention, swelling
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Increased appetite
- Weight gain
- Sudden mood swings
- Muscle weakness
- Blurred vision
- Increased growth of body hair
- Stomach irritation
Risks Associated with the Use of Corticosteroids
There are certain risks associated with the use of corticosteroids such as:
- Short-term Benefits: Corticosteroids provide benefits for very short
- Immuno-suppression: A reduction in immune response is required for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis but this suppression can make you more susceptible to infections and slows the healing of any injury or surgery.
- Withdrawal: When you start taking corticosteroids, the adrenal gland slows down the production of naturally produced cortisol in our body. Therefore the body becomes dependent on steroids. Abrupt discontinuation of corticosteroid therapy can be very dangerous.
How Is Glme Better than Corticosteroids for Arthritis Patients?
Benefits of GLME over corticosteroids:
- It is anti-inflammatory, due to which it relieves the inflammation with a chondro-protective This gives relief from the physical pain of osteoarthritis.
- It contains the components that are required to effectively give relief for symptoms of both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis without inducing the unwanted side effects.
- It has natural gastro-protective properties therefore, it does not damage the delicate stomach lining.
- It does not cause any type of withdrawal symptoms.
- Its effects are slow, progressive and long-lasting.
- It provides joint lubrication and prevents cartilage deterioration.
- It promotes repair of damaged cartilage and improves the mobility and range of movement in the affected joint.
- No adverse effects have been reported with long-term use of GLME.